Neighborhood Music School (NMS), is the largest nonprofit community arts organization in the state and one of the 10th largest in the country. Founded in 1911 as part of the settlement house movement serving the local immigrant population in urban New Haven, NMS
continues its mission to create community, spark potential and share joy through the arts.
Read what parents and students are saying about us.
• More than 3,000 students enrolled each year, studying instrumental and vocal music in
individual and group instruction, dance and drama
• Students from 80+ different towns and cities across Connecticut
• 150 professional teaching faculty members, with annual gross wages exceeding
• Over $200,000 in financial aid and tuition support for more than 500 students each year,
including nearly 100 New Haven Public School students
• More than 250 performances and events each year
• 100 weekly ensembles for more than 450 children and adults
• Instruction offered in over 30 instruments
• 150 weekly classes, including 7 genres of dance, music theory, history and appreciation,
acting, scene study and improvisation
• Audubon Arts summer program for more than 200 children featuring intensive
classes in writing, dance, vocals, visual art and instrumental music and cumulating in musical
theatre shows created by participants
• Greater New Haven Youth Ensembles, 4 auditioned ensembles that draw musicians from
middle and high schools throughout Southern Connecticut
• Conservatory-level three-year diploma program
• State-certified independent arts-integrated Preschool serving toddlers and young
children ages 2-5
Neighborhood Music School is so much more than a school: It's a rich and vibrant artistic community. Won't you join us?