Ways to Give
“Neighborhood Music School is more than a school. It’s a community, a platform for artistic development and a place that, I am proud to call my home.”
– Tyler Jenkins, Percussion student and Premier Jazz Ensemble Member
NMS’s Bridge to the Future campaign encourages donors to support our community in at least three ways over the next three years – through student scholarships, program sponsorships and faculty support.
• NMS teaches hundreds of students whose families can’t afford to pay for their lessons. You can make it possible for one deserving student to learn, grow and gain new skills – for a month, a year, or three years – by donating a scholarship for a student who needs it.
• Please consider supporting one or more of our tuition-free programs with a special donation of $1,000 or more. We will gladly recognize you as a program sponsor in print materials and on our website, and provide regular updates on your program’s activities!
• Help support NMS’s great gift to the region: our top-notch faculty! Our 130 teaching artists have been educated in exemplary schools and have taught thousands of people – young, old and in between – how to develop and hone their talents.
There are many other ways to support NMS!
• Cash or credit. Checks should be made payable to Neighborhood Music School and sent to: NMS Development Office, 100 Audubon St., New Haven, CT 06510-1206. For credit donations simply click here.
• Gifts of stock or other securities. By transferring stock to NMS, you avoid paying some or all capital gains taxes and reduce your taxable income. Learn more.
• Matching gifts through your workplace. Please ask your employer if NMS qualifies.
• In-kind gifts. NMS will gratefully accept donations of working instruments, sheet music and office supplies on a case-by-case basis. Please note that if you require a valuation for your donation, you should seek an official appraisal prior to contacting NMS, as we are prohibited from providing a valuation as a party to the transaction.
• IRA Charitable Rollover. The IRA Charitable Rollover enables you to make income tax-free transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA if:
• You are at least 70½ years of age on the day of the gift.
• You transfer the funds directly from your IRA to one or more qualified charities.
This opportunity applies only to IRAs and not to other types of retirement plans.
• Amazon. When you shop on AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate up to .5 percent of your purchases to NMS. Click here to shop and benefit NMS!
•Legacy Gifts. By remembering Neighborhood Music School in your will or beneficiary arrangements, you create a legacy of transforming lives, expressing gratitude and making a difference in the world through arts education.
Whether you wish to provide general operating income for NMS to use wherever it is most needed (which provides the most flexibility), or to support a specific department or program, your bequest expresses your lasting commitment to NMS. A bequest may also help you meet your financial and estate-planning goals, because an estate-tax charitable deduction for the entire amount of the gift is allowed. All legacy gifts will be recognized in The NMS Cornerstone Society. For more information, contact Sue Davison, Director of Institutional Advancement,
at 203-624-5189 ext. 19.
•Endowment Gifts. Permanent endowment funds provide a perpetual source of support for NMS programs and students. NMS has a number of named endownment funds which provide a vital source of support for specific programs and students now and in the years ahead. Some donors choose to contribute to one of these ongoing funds and help them continue to grow.
Other donors may consider creating their own named endowment fund with a gift of $25,000 or more and provide a meaningful way to pay tribute to a loved one, friend or mentor while supporting a student or program close to their heart. For more information about endowment gifts, contact Sue Davison, Director of Institutional Advancement, at 203-624-5189, ext. 19.
See our 2015-2016 Annual Report here.